I wrote about Cool Tips for Hot Playgrounds quite a few summers ago. Now that we’re seeing temps above 90, you might want to re-visit that post?
Top 10+ OC Playgrounds with Shade Covers
Numbers 1 through 6 are the stand-out parks where the shade covers are BIG and effective. The other parks have partial shade covers which provide some relief, but they don’t cover the whole playground.
- Ridgecrest Park in Aliso Viejo – there’s even a shade cover over the swings!
- Tustin Sports Park – great slides at this one and a bright, happy red cover.
- Aliso Viejo Community Park – it’s down in a canyon so gets natural shade in the early evening.
- Woodbury Community Park in Irvine – I’ve seen moms congregate in the shade under the cover.
- Fullerton Sports Complex Playground – pictured in the featured spot at the beginning of this post.
- Lake Forest Sports Park Playgrounds – one playground has partial shade, but the one near the baseball fields has almost full shade.
- Canyon View Park in Aliso Viejo – even shade over the picnic area.
- Lang Park in Laguna Beach – a playground cover AND near the ocean.
- Sweet Shade Park in Irvine – minimal covers, but good for a little relief.
- Santa Ana Zoo Playground – the giraffe design makes this one unique.
- Liberty Park in San Clemente – inland location so no benefits from the ocean.
- Brea Sports Park – just added shade covers in 2012.
- Stanton Central Park – new park in 2016.
More recommendations from readers:
- Anton Park in Irvine
- Cox Sports Park in Ladera Ranch
- Altisima Park in Rancho Santa Margarita
Remember to read Cool Tips for Hot Playgrounds for more ideas to keep cool on these hot days!