Grijalva Community Park at Santiago Creek is another recommendation from Mary who told me about Pioneer Park. It was very easy to get to from the freeway and we had tons of fun playing. We talked to many moms who supported Mary’s tips and added a few of their own.
Location: Exit the 55 Freeway at E. Chapman and head toward the hills. Turn left on North Prospect. You can either turn left and park along Spring Street – or continue to E. Walnut Avenue and turn left there winding back to the park (allows parking closer to playground). Neither the park or the extension of E. Walnut Avenue shows up on the map link – but I put the marker exactly where the park sits. If you are coming from Tustin, you can turn from Jamboree onto E. Chapman Avenue and approach the park from the opposite direction. MAP to Grijalva Community Park at Santiago Creek
Recommended by: Mary
- Nice, almost new park
- Two play structures separated by a footbridge (one for younger kids with baby swings, the other for older children with bench swings and lots of monkey bars)
- A great walking path around the perimeter of the park – many people there for jogging and fitness.
- Beautiful main building near playground houses clean bathrooms
- Grills and picnic tables everywhere!
- Close-by parking with playground set back and separated from busy street by a high fence
- 2 baby swings, 4 bench swings
- Home to Sports Center at Grijalva Park
- Can be busy on weekends with soccer games
- The fire pole on the highest play structure was too high for me to reach my 3yo (but that seems to be the case at many parks)
- Not a lot of big trees for shade a the playground during summer months
- Parking on Spring Street and off Walnut Ave.
- Bark play surface
- Restrooms are clean and nearby
- Drinking fountain near gazebo on corner of Spring/Prospect
- Not a lot of shade
- Easy to view the kids on any part of the playground
- Nice basketball courts on opposite side of park from playground
- Sand volleyball court doubles as a sandbox for the kids
- Official Sports Center web page
- Official Grijalva Park info from the City of Orange – for reservations