Welcome! I'm so glad you are here, but if you are doing your part it means you are staying at home. Keep doing what you are supposed to be doing for the good of public health! Always adhere to official guidelines.
TeWinkle Park and Angel’s Playground is adorned with names of generous individuals and philanthropic groups who helped create Angels Playground. According to the Angels Charity website, “the plan was the inspiration of Costa Mesa residents, Mr. and Mrs. Doug Hansen, whose daughter, Angel, is severely disabled.” Groundbreaking for the park occurred in November, 2007.
Location of TeWinkle Park in Costa Mesa: Located very near the OC County Fairgrounds on Arlington Drive between Fairview and the southbound Newport Boulevard lanes. It’s easily reachable from the the 55 and 405 freeways, as well as the 73 tollroad. [Address: 885 Junipero Road, Costa Mesa] MAP to TeWinkle Park in Costa Mesa
Recommended by: Nicole and Becky
- It’s amazingly well-maintained in a peaceful setting across from the Costa Mesa Tennis Center
- The many lakes, waterfalls, and waterfowl provide for leisurely strolls and adventures for the kids
- Motor skills challenges set this park apart from others – there are pedestals to navigate, balance beams, platforms, standing pedal pushers, and tunnels
- Completely “barrier-free” universally accessible and ADA compliant
- Kids of all ages and abilities drawn to the moving sled/car/boat (whatever their imagination divines it to be)
- It’s easy to see the kids from all angles here, but if they wander there are deep water hazards up the hill from the play area
- I felt completely safe on my visit – but there were a few suspicious characters on the outskirts near the parking lot (just be aware, as always)
- One mom says “Climbing wall is a little dangerous for a toddler”
- The first “barrier-free” universally accessible playground in Orange County
- Dedicated parking lot
- Recycled rubber play surface and sand play area
- Nice, clean bathrooms very near playground (even a family restroom)
- Drinking fountains near restroom
- Massive covered picnic area (multiple tables) and one smaller picnic area (fits one table)
- Many benches for viewing the kids, many covered by shade
- Ball fields at Athletic Center
- Official City of Costa Mesa website park reservation info
- Nearby public libraries: Mesa Verde Public Library branch and Costa Mesa Donald Dungan branch
Originally published in November 2008.