Hicks Canyon Park in Irvine is located right on Culver between Portola Parkway and Irvine Blvd, but it’s hard to see the playground from the street.
Directions to Hicks Canyon Park in Irvine: This park is closer to Interstate 5 than the 405 (although you can use either to exit on Culver and drive towards the foothills away from the ocean). Take Culver Drive and turn onto Viewpark Avenue. There is a large parking lot that extends along the sports fields. The playground is nearer to the baseball diamonds. MAP TO HICKS CANYON PARK IN IRVINE
- When I asked what parents love about this park – the answer was that it’s not close to the main street and traffic. Parents also liked the jogging trail.
- Hicks Canyon Trail is the pedestrian and bike trail that connects to Peters Canyon Trail along the 261 Tollroad and dumps out onto Portola. It makes for a beautiful walk through a tunnel under Culver and along a path that runs under the eucalyptus trees. This is really the high point of this park.
- Good spot to meet and do a stroller walk with friends.
- Best for younger kids, since the structure isn’t that challenging or unusual for older kids.
- Little “cafe” window under the structure for playing restaurant
- Very nice covered picnic area with LARGE charcoal grills
- I’ve never seen a park with so many benches! Easy to spot the kids while they are playing.
- Baby swings and small spring toys
- Playground is very near the parking lot
- There are some steep drops, so you’ll have to watch out for the little ones
- No bench swings, only baby swings
- Busy during games on the sports fields or diamonds
- A little loud from the traffic on Culver and the retail right nearby
- Free parking in a dedicated lot
- Play surface: Sand and recycled rubber
- Restrooms are on the parking lot side of the snack bar building
- Drinking fountains all around
- 2 baseball diamonds
- Sports fields
- Official City of Irvine website for Hicks Park
- Nearest public library: Irvine-Katie Wheeler Branch of Orange County Public Libraries