University Community Park in Irvine holds a strong spot in my mental checklist of Top 10 Parks in Orange County. I love the location and the arrangement of the play equipment.
How to Get to University Community Park in Irvine: Exit Interstate 405 at Jeffrey Rd./University Dr. and turn towards the UC Irvine and Tanaka Farms. Turn right on Beech Tree Lane and park in the lot ahead on your left. (Address: 1 Beech Tree Lane, Irvine) MAP TO UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY PARK IN IRVINE
- Easy to access from I-405
- Near UC Irvine and Tanaka Farms, plus there’s a gas station, IHOP, and Ralphs grocery store on your way (at the corner of Michelson and University)
- The playground is beautiful with mostly recycled rubber surfaces and shade cover
- It works for all ages. My older son had fun on the spinning equipment and rock climbing — while my younger daughter loved the low-to-the-ground monkey bars.
- It’s easy to see the kids from all angles — and there is a low wall to sit on and watch the action or shelter under the shade near the picnic tables.
- It’s away from busy streets.
- The Irvine Adventure Playground is right on this property
- You can rent out rooms inside the Community Center for events or b-day parties (picnic tables are first come, first serve)
- 2 bench swings, 2 baby swings
- I absolutely LOVE that the library is right next door. We often pay a visit to the Friends of the Library bookstore.
- Nature connection: There is a hidden path with some trees near the Beech Tree parking lot – fun for kids to explore. Also, check out the birdfeeder outside the community center.
- It can get busy when camps are in session.
- Not much shade on the playground
- NO bounce houses allowed for parties
- Dedicated parking lots on both sides of the playground (Beech Tree Lane and off Sandburg Way)
- Play surface: Mostly recycled rubber with sand around the climbing boulder
- Restrooms are VERY nice and located at the back of the community center
- Shaded picnic area right on the playground
- Drinking fountains
- Every sports field and court imaginable: handball, soccer fields, tennis courts, basketball court, sand volleyball, baseball diamond (and they are all lighted!)
- Make facility reservations through the City of Irvine
- Nearest public library: University Park Library is within walking distance
- Mason Regional Park
- San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
- Turtle Rock Nature Center and Community Park
- Las Lomas Community Park
Originally published in August 2011.