Train parks abound in Orange County. Whether you like to see big locomotives up close, far away, play on them, ride on them — we’ve got the parks for you. Please comment if we are missing any! I’d love to have a complete list someday.
Brush Canyon Park, Yorba Linda
See BNSF whoosh by.
San Clemente Beaches
These tracks run all up and down the beaches in San Clemente. Cover your ears; they are loud!
San Onofre State Beach
You can see Amtrak in the distance from the bluff top — or closer up from the parking areas.
They come rumbling over your head at Trestles.
Orchard Park, Irvine
This one is just the right size for toddlers.
Irvine Regional Park
For a fee, you can ride the train at Irvine Park Railroad.
Creekside Park (Dana Point)
More distant views of the trains across San Juan Creek also down the line from Descanso.
*Don’t think I need to say it – but I’ll say it anyways: If it’s you against the train, the train’s gonna win. Be safe and stay off the tracks!
More Southern California outings for train lovers:
- Orange County Model Engineers (Goathill Junction) in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County)
- Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, CA (Riverside County)
- Travel Town Museum in Griffith Park (LA County)
- Los Angeles Live Steamers Railroad Museum in Griffith Park (LA County)
- Fillmore & Western Railway in Fillmore, CA (Ventura County)
- Riverside Live Steamers at Hobby Hunter Park (Riverside)
Originally published in June 2010.