Pines Park in Dana Point/Capo Beach, sitting on the bluff directly above Capistrano Beach Park, is the perfect play place for those weekends when it’s hot inland.
Location of Pines Park in Dana Point/Capo Beach: From Pacific Coast Highway take Palisades Drive across from Capo Beach up the hill and turn right on Camino Capistrano. From the 5 Freeway take the Camino de Estrella exit and drive toward the ocean. Turn right onto Camino Capistrano. (Address: 34941 Camino Capistrano) MAP to Pines Park in Dana Point/Capo Beach
Recommended by: Danielle
- Ocean view from the path into the pines – plus the sound of the waves crashing below echoes throughout the park
- Beautiful pine trees and surrounding foliage – a great setting for some imaginative play. There’s a little shade tree on the grass right off the bigger play structure.
- Fun tunnel slide, climbing wall, and grassy hills to roll down
- We walked the path leading away from the playground where you get a peek-a-boo view of the ocean. It leads up to great sunset viewing benches. The water was incredibly blue and I could see Dana Point Harbor and headlands.
- It’s a nice place for a dinner picnic or barbecue with a few grills near the picnic tables
- NO bathrooms
- No swings
- The playground is slightly sunken below street level, so it’s harder to get to the street.
- The fences are there for a reason. The fenced off area may be unstable.
- Parking on street (only an issue when they are doing road work)
- Mostly recycled rubber play surface with little sandbox area near the smaller structure
- NO restrooms, but drinking fountains at top of steps
- Shade around the park, not always on the park
- Four picnic tables with bench seating and grills
- Accessible – the ramp is steep though on the way back up
- Official City of Dana Point website
Originally published in August 2009.