Orange County Splash Parks and Water Play
One of Fun Orange County Parks’ regular readers asked about local “spray parks” for water play – and even gave some suggestions herself. I keep hearing that Southern California, especially OC, lacks spray parks. My only explanation is our proximity to the beach and the good weather which allows us to make our own splash parks at home with sprinklers. Here are links to a few options if you are looking to get wet this summer:
FREE SPLASH FOUNTAINS:
- The Splash Pad in Westminster’s Sigler Park
- Harry M. Dotson Park in Stanton has a “Wet Saloon” themed water play area – this one gets mixed reviews from readers.
- Heritage Park in Irvine is one of my personal favorites (see photo above).
- Lemon Park Spray Pool in Fullerton.
- Irvine Spectrum has one splash play area
- Brenner Park wading pool in Buena Park – free for 6 and under
- Crown Valley Community Park across from the YMCA in Laguna Niguel (Not open quite yet – but close! I drove by on 7/2 and called – they are hoping for mid-July.)
Closed 2015 due to drought*:
- Pioneer Park in Tustin has a little splash park open during the summer.
- Frontier Park in Tustin is closed due to the drought – and installing recirculating water system for 2016.
- Veteran Sports Park at Tustin Legacy – being built for 2016
- Valencia Park in Fullerton
- Adlena Park in Fullerton
- Larwin Park Spray Pool in Buena Park
Source: OC Register article and calls to confirm with cities
PAY FOR WATER PLAY:
I’ve never been, but the City of La Mirada Buccaneer Bay (Splash!) gets the best reader comments:
“We visited Splash in La Mirada on Saturday and “OH MY GOODNESS” it was sooo much fun!” (See the rest of Lisa’s experience in the comments section below.)
“We visited La Mirada (all the way from Lake Forest) today – there’s nowhere we won’t drive! It was definitely worth it. The ‘common pool’ area in the middle is free, parking is free, my 2 year old son was free. That’s a bargain in exchange for the cost of gas. I like that locker rental only cost 50 cents and that you can swim for free or enter Buccaneer Bay for a fee. I thought that cost of the Bay was reasonable for all they had to offer. Can’t wait to go again sometime.” (-Heather)
- Boomer’s Buccaneer Bay, Irvine (comparatively small – opened in Summer 2013)
- Newport Dunes Water Playground & Water Sport Rentals
- The Wave Water Park, Vista (San Diego area)
Other Southern California Water Theme Parks:
- Knott’s Berry Farm Soak City, Buena Park
- Sea World’s Aquatica in Chula Vista (San Diego area)
- Legoland Water Park in Carlsbad (San Diego area)
- Hurricane Harbor, Valencia (LA area)
- Raging Waters, San Dimas (LA area)
- Wet ‘n Wild, Palm Springs
SMALLER SCALE WATER PLAY FOR LOCALS:
- Aliso Viejo Aquatic Center and Pool
- Atlantis Play Center in Garden Grove opened a splash pad in 2012
- San Clemente Aquatics and Vista Hermosa Sports Park (pictured with green slide above)
- Go to different cities for rec swim (click here for my Ultimate Guide to City Recreation Programs and Calendars)
- Join the YMCA to take part in swim lessons or rec swim
Southern California Hotels with Water Play:
- Slyder’s Water Playground at Hyatt Huntington Beach (OC)
- Splash Landing Pools and Family Sandy Beach at La Costa Resort (North San Diego County)
- Splashtopia at Rancho Las Palmas Resort (Palm Springs)
- Monorail Pool at the Disneyland Hotel (OC)
- Kids Splash & Play at Renaissance Club Sport Hotel in Aliso Viejo (OC)
- Kids Splash Zone at Laguna Cliffs Marriott (OC)
- Meadow Pool at Paradise Point Resort (San Diego)
Other Southern California Splash Park Lists:
- 10 Free Water Playgrounds and Parks with Splash Pads in LA (MommyPoppins)
- Water Break – San Diego area local guide (The Mom’s Guide to San Diego)
Don’t forget the BEACH! Kids can splash in the surf without going all the way in the water. Hold their hands and cool your toes, too. I have a ton of suggestions with details under my Beach category. And I wrote about the Best Toddler Beaches with no waves.
Please add more places to the comments when you find them!