NOTE: As of April 2017, there is major construction going on behind Target and I’m unsure if the splash pad is open (even if it is, parking is tough at that end of the Spectrum.)
Now that the weather is heating up, I’ve received lots of requests for water play areas at local parks. As always, I’m starting with what I know. And although I don’t know Irvine shopping – I’m pretty good at playing at the Spectrum.
Location: The Spectrum is the Irvine shopping center visible from where Interstate 405 and 5 meet. Irvine Center Drive is the exit to take from the 405. Take Alton if you’re coming from the 5. Turn onto Enterprise from Irvine Center Drive next to Interstate 405. Pass Nordstrom’s and park in the small lot outside The Vitamin Shoppe for easy access to the fountain. MAP to Irvine Spectrum for Water Play
- There’s a fountain of tiny droplets closer to the “kids area” of this Irvine shopping spectacle by the shaded playground. I’d pick this particular fountain for smaller children. Restroom across from H&M.
- The fountain and playground can be busy. I recommend wearing shoes. Bring a towel and change of clothes for the kids.
- Parking is free. Park off Gateway in the structure OR off Enterprise before you hit Target.
- Concrete play surface in fountains.
- Restrooms in Food Court. Restrooms across from H & M behind The Children’s Place. (There are directories all over the place for more locations).
- Umbrellas at tables surrounding fountains to shade adults watching the action.