Canyon View Park at Sea Summit in San Clemente is a compact 2-5 year old playground right below the Outlets at San Clemente.
You can access the nearby Sea Summit Trail directly from the park. It’s the perfect location to use as a home base if you make a loop of the trail.
How to Get to Canyon View Park at Sea Summit in San Clemente: Exit I-405 at Avenida Vista Hermosa and park at the Jim Johnson Memorial Sports Park off the Vista Hermosa freeway exit. Then walk down Vista Hermosa, turn right onto Avenida Costa Azul and keep following it to the left and straight to the roundabout where the park sits. (Address: 18 Via Artemesia, San Clemente) MAP TO CANYON VIEW PARK IN SAN CLEMENTE
- I predict that the kids will dub this the “butterfly playground” or “bug playground” because of the whimsical theme
- Ocean views from the playground!
- Picnic area and restrooms are very close by playground with benches for viewing
- Nice to have it dedicated to smaller 2-5 year olds without any big kid equipment nearby
- Awesome weather since it’s close to the beach
- Access to the Sea Summit Trail via accessible trail section – easy to make a short loop with a stroller from here
- Vista del Sol Park is right down the street – no playground, but restrooms and more picnic area overlooking the ocean
- 2 bench swings and 1 baby swing
- Only a small number of parking spaces in the lot – so City of San Clemente suggests you park outside the community at the future sports park
- No shade over playground
- Only a few parking spaces at the park- the official City of San Clemente website directs visitors to Sea Summit Trail to park at the future Jim Johnson Memorial Sports Park off the Vista Hermosa freeway exit. Not a bad sidewalk hike from there.
- Play surface: recycled rubber and sand
- Shaded picnic area with charcoal barbecues
- Drinking fountain
- Dining options at the Outlets
- Official City of San Clemente web page for Canyon View Park
- More official City of San Clemente park information (reservations, etc.)
- Nearest public library branch: San Clemente Public Library (events calendar)
Originally published in September 2016.