Valencia Park in Irvine is perfect for a picnic or some run-around time. I first visited this park back when my oldest was a toddler and loved that it was a bit sunken and contained him from wandering too far. The play surface has been improved in recent years from it’s former wear & tear. So for those of you who like NO sand — this is a great choice.
I visited again for a picnic after grabbing lunch from the nearby Sprouts Market.
Directions to Valencia Park in Irvine: You’ve probably driven by it a million times and never noticed it. It’s right off Jamboree between Irvine Blvd and Portola Parkway near the Tustin Marketplace. In fact, I thought the park was in Tustin — not Irvine. So just take I-5 and exit at Jamboree – turning towards the shopping area. Drive past the shopping and restaurants (unless you want to pick up lunch) and head past Irvine Blvd. Turn right onto Trevino Drive and left into the parking lot the park shares with an elementary school. (Address: 3081 Trevino Road, Irvine) MAP TO VALENCIA PARK IN IRVINE
- The location is close to everything
- The pirate ship equipment is fun for pretend play
- There are swings right on the playground (2 bench, 2 baby)
- There’s a huge field for running around and ball games
- I saw a family visiting the park on their scooters and bikes who loved to ride up and down the mini hill/path that runs UNDER Jamboree
- It doesn’t feel too remote if you visit on a weekday
- There are restrooms!
- The picnic area is covered for a little bit of shade, but it’s away from the playground. We ate and then played.
- I like that the playground is sunken with lots of spots for sitting and watching the kids, including two benches
- It’s just a bit noisy from the heavy traffic on Jamboree.
- It’s a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the playground (about the length of the soccer field). The picnic tables are halfway.
- It shares a parking lot with an elementary school, so I’d avoid it at school drop-off and pick-up times.
- Dedicated parking lot (shared with a school)
- Restrooms near the parking lot
- Play surface: recycled rubber
- Drinking fountains
- Covered picnic area
- Soccer field
- Bike path / walking path access
- Official Irvine neighborhood park page
- Nearest public library: The beautiful Irvine – Katie Wheeler Library (OCPL.org) is very near this park!
Originally published in October 2011.