Sea Canyon Park in Dana Point is an awesome park for climbers. I love that the big kid equipment is safely enclosed so even little kids can wander around.
There is also a concrete bench that runs around the border of the park near the playground.
Directions to Sea Canyon Park: From Golden Lantern, turn onto Acapulco near Dana Hills High School. Make a right on Elisa, left on Santiago. Address: 33093 Santiago Drive, Dana Point, CA. MAP to Sea Canyon Park in Dana Point
- Lots of shade and ocean breezes for hot summer days
- Tables near play place make it great for birthday parties
- Offers play opportunities for all ages and even the “high” areas are adequately protected to prevent falls
- One large structure for older kids with lots of slides and ladders with a nearby climbing rock
- Smaller kids have their own boulders to climb, plus swings and music center to play bongos
- Field nearby for kicking a soccer ball around or playing catch
- One of the few play areas with nearby fenced dog park
- 2 baby swings and 2 bench swings
- Climbing rock and large arch ladder on big play structure need extra supervision
- If kids run to far end of the park you may lose sight of them
- Prepare your child for the presence of dogs at nearby enclosure if they have any phobia
- Play surface: Recycled rubber, except for the sand area with boulders
- Drinking fountains
- Unisex restrooms right near playground (nothing fancy)
- 4 picnic tables right on playground and others scattered throughout park
- Large shade trees
- Parking on neighborhood street — no official parking lot
- Official City of Dana Point info on Sea Canyon Park
- City of Dana Point General Park Information/Reservations
- Nearest public library branch: Dana Point Public Library
Originally published in May 2008.