When I first discovered La Plata Park in Laguna Niguel, I thought this small neighborhood park would entertain my 2 year old for only 20 minutes. Wow, was I wrong! Yes, the play equipment is simple but there are side by side slides that inspired many excited screams of, “Wanna race, Mama?” Not only did we race our bodies down the slides, we raced toy cars, pieces of bark, pine cones and leaves. Before I knew it, twenty minutes had easily turned into two hours!
Location: From I-5, exit in Mission Viejo at Crown Valley Parkway. Go west and turn left onto La Plata Drive. Follow the road until you see the La Plata Park sign on the right hand side. The park is not visible from the street but a short walk on a sidewalk path will take you there. Parking is on the street. MAP to La Plata Park in Laguna Niguel
- The playground equipment is simple but there is a wonderful grassy area surrounded by a sidewalk loop. After my son and I raced on the slides we raced our scooters around the loop.
- Tot lot includes 2 swings, monkey bars, twisting poles to climb and a rocking airplane.
- The park is nestled in a neighborhood canyon and sits far away from the street. I found it easy to keep my eye on multiple kids during a play date.
- There is a sidewalk path that goes up a hill and leads into another part of the neighborhood. My son had a blast walking up and down the hill collecting pine cones leaves from all of the trees.
- Tall trees provide shade for a good portion of the playground.
- Bring a jacket for early morning play time. The trees block most of the morning sun and it can get quite chilly.
- There is a concrete drain next to the play equipment. I quickly marked it off limits to my son because he was too tempted to walk on it like a balance beam.
- Parking on the street
- Bark-filled play surface
- NO restrooms
- Drinking fountain
- Three picnic table and three park benches