Chapparosa Park is at the dead end of Chapparosa Park Road off Golden Lantern near the Marina Hills Shopping Center. It also links to the Salt Creek Corridor Regional Park with a path leading to Niguel Road Park – and eventually down to Salt Creek Beach (see map because it looks as if you might have to zig-zag a bit). I took my 2 kids and 2 nephews to this park and had no problem keeping my eye on all of them.
Location: Take Moulton/Golden Lantern and turn onto Chapparosa Park Road. You will dead end into the park. MAP to Chapparosa Park in Laguna Niguel
- Chapparosa is themed as an Old West fort with panels which look like a log cabin
- Separate smaller kids play area with little houses for pretend play, spring animals and small slide
- Tire swing
- Shade cover over picnic area makes it nice for small birthday party and watching the kids run between the small structure and bigger structure.
- Small picnic areas with grills dot the park
- I’ve hiked down to the park from the Fire Station above on Golden Lantern/Moulton and I’ve hiked as far as the restaurants near Fratelli’s off Niguel Road, but I know the trail continues down to Salt Creek.
- It’s near the beach so it should be relatively cool – but it’s also in a valley which makes it hotter than hilltop parks nearby
- No swings
- Parking in a free dedicated lot
- Bark play surface
- Restrooms at the other side of the parking lot by the baseball diamond
- Not a lot of shade on the playground, but trees surrounding and a shade cover over the tables
- Easy to view kids from the picnic tables
- A favorite lunch stop is nearby in Laguna Heights Shopping Center at Good Choice Sushi
- A new breakfast/lunch place just went into the same shopping area called Stacks and Yolks (from Las Vegas)
- Official Chapparosa Community Park page on City of Laguna Niguel website
- Nearest public library: Laguna Niguel Branch of Orange County Public Library
Originally published in August 2009.