Little Cottonwood Park in Los Alamitos is super popular. So popular, in fact, that it took me a very long time to get photos without kids!
I can see why, too. It’s a great and compact little park with two sizable picnic shelters to shade parents and host parties.
I guess it’s also good to note that it can be exceedingly sunny and warm on this playground or so foggy you can’t even see the grassy field beyond the playground! (The foggy photos are the latest photos – so no more bark/wood chips. It’s all recycled rubber now.)
How to Get to Little Cottonwood Park in Los Alamitos: From Interstate 405, take the Seal Beach Blvd exit. Drive east toward the mountains. Turn right onto Farquhar (at the Jack-in-the-Box). Turn right into the driveway of the park after you cross Bloomfield Street. Also easily reachable from Katella and the 605 Freeway. MAP TO LITTLE COTTONWOOD PARK IN LOS ALAMITOS
Recommended by: Jennifer (her comments in italics)
- 2 great playground structures (1 for big kids, 1 for toddlers) Kids will love the climbing elements, especially the man-made rock bridge. When I visited there was a large group playing tag between the structures (the toddler structure was safe and they had to navigate around the big structure without getting tagged).
- Swingset (1 baby swing, 2 bench swings)
- Basketball Court (2 half courts)
- Huge grass area
- Small path for lil bikes and scooters. Only one entrance/exit adds to safe feel.
- Shaded grass area and two covered picnic areas (usually reserved on weekends)
- Spider web climber, “showerhead spinner” apparatus (see photo below), rock climbers, walls and nets.
- Parking area is small. Not sure if it is lighted at night.
- Transition from grass to equipment area can be steep for toddlers in some spots.
- There are two “spinning Toad Stool” type playthings. My son spun until he got sick on our last trip. YUCK !! 😀
- Dedicated FREE parking lot
- Recycled rubber play surface
- Large lawn area (fenced at the back)
- Drinking fountain near restrooms
- Two large reservable covered picnic areas with grills – get information on picnic shelter reservations here
- 2 half basketball courts
- 1 volleyball court
- Official City of Los Alamitos park page
Parks near Little Cottonwood Park:
- El Dorado Nature Center and Park (Long Beach)
- Rush Park (Community of Rossmoor)
- Stanton Central Park and Splash Pad
Originally published in August 2010.