Little Cottonwood Park in Los Alamitos is super popular. So popular, in fact, that it took me a very long time to get photos without kids!
I can see why, too. It’s a great and compact little park with two sizable picnic shelters to shade parents and host parties.
I guess it’s also good to note that it can be exceedingly sunny and warm on this playground or so foggy you can’t even see the grassy field beyond the playground! (The foggy photos are the latest photos – so no more bark/wood chips. It’s all recycled rubber now.)
How to Get to Little Cottonwood Park in Los Alamitos: From Interstate 405, take the Seal Beach Blvd exit. Drive east toward the mountains. Turn right onto Farquhar (at the Jack-in-the-Box). Turn right into the driveway of the park after you cross Bloomfield Street. Also easily reachable from Katella and the 605 Freeway. MAP TO LITTLE COTTONWOOD PARK IN LOS ALAMITOS
Recommended by: Jennifer (her comments in italics)
- 2 great playground structures (1 for big kids, 1 for toddlers) Kids will love the climbing elements, especially the man-made rock bridge. When I visited there was a large group playing tag between the structures (the toddler structure was safe and they had to navigate around the big structure without getting tagged).
- Swingset (1 baby swing, 2 bench swings)
- Basketball Court (2 half courts)
- Huge grass area
- Small path for lil bikes and scooters. Only one entrance/exit adds to safe feel.
- Shaded grass area and two covered picnic areas (usually reserved on weekends)
- Spider web climber, “showerhead spinner” apparatus (see photo below), rock climbers, walls and nets.
- Parking area is small. Not sure if it is lighted at night.
- Transition from grass to equipment area can be steep for toddlers in some spots.
- There are two “spinning Toad Stool” type playthings. My son spun until he got sick on our last trip. YUCK !! 😀
- Dedicated FREE parking lot
- Recycled rubber play surface
- Large lawn area (fenced at the back)
- Drinking fountain near restrooms
- Two large reservable covered picnic areas with grills – get information on picnic shelter reservations here
- 2 half basketball courts
- 1 volleyball court
- Official City of Los Alamitos park page
Parks near Little Cottonwood Park:
- El Dorado Nature Center and Park (Long Beach)
- Rush Park (Community of Rossmoor)
- Stanton Central Park and Splash Pad
Originally published in August 2010.
Monday 23rd of April 2012
Such an awesome Park! We had my sister's 1st Birthday Party at this Park & it was very relaxing, the Adults were able to enjoy themselves while the kids were able to play at the park that was not far from them. I want to plan my daughter's 1st Birthday at this Park as well when it comes to the time :) Very beautiful park!!
Monday 29th of August 2011
This is a very cool park, right across the street from our house. It has lots of great shady bench areas to eat lunch, and open area to run around in . Lots of fun!
Monday 25th of July 2011
Awesome park. We go here often. They have bathrooms and a wonderful path that circles the whole lot which is great for kiddos who wanna ride there bikes and/or scooters. There is also a very fun mini climbing wall.
Tuesday 26th of July 2011
Thanks for adding that extra info, Leah.