Little Cottonwood Park in Los Alamitos is super popular. So popular, in fact, that it took me a very long time to get photos without kids! I can see why, too. It’s a great and compact little park with two sizable picnic shelters to shade parents and host parties.
Location: From Interstate 405, take the Seal Beach Blvd. exit. Drive east toward the mountains. Turn right onto Farquhar (at the Jack-in-the-Box). Turn after you cross Bloomfield Street. Also easily reachable from Katella and the 605 Freeway. MAP TO LITTLE COTTONWOOD PARK IN LOS ALAMITOS
Recommended by: Jennifer (her comments in italics)
- 2 great playground structures (1 for big kids, 1 for toddlers) Kids will love the climbing elements, especially the man-made rock bridge. When I visited there was a large group playing tag between the structures (the toddler structure was safe and they had to navigate around the big structure without getting tagged).
- Swingset (1 baby swing, 2 bench swings)
- Basketball Court (2 half courts)
- Huge grass area
- Small path for lil bikes and scooters. Only one entrance/exit adds to safe feel.
- Shaded grass area and two covered picnic areas (usually reserved on weekends)
- Spider web climber, “showerhead spinner” apparatus (see photo below), rock climbers, walls and nets.
- Ground cover under equipment is bark (don’t wear sandles).
- Parking area is small. Not sure if it is lighted at night.
- Transition from grass to equipment area can be steep for toddlers in some spots.
- There are two “spinning Toad Stool” type playthings. My son spun until he got sick on our last trip. YUCK !! 😀
- Note from Michele: Sorry! No pix of the toddler equipment. The kids wouldn’t stop playing long enough for me to get a shot.
- Dedicated FREE parking lot
- Bark play surface under older kid area. Recycled rubber under swings and toddler play equipment. Large lawn area (fenced at the back).
- Drinking fountain near restrooms
- Two large reservable covered picnic areas with grills (City of Los Alamitos 562-431-3538)
- 2 half basketball courts
- 1 sand volleyball court