I’ve noticed a growing need for a list of homeschool parks. It’s now commonplace for me to see a homeschool group playing at the playgrounds we visit. In fact, I got a chance to speak to a “Park Coordinator” on one of my trips. Homeschool families are looking for parks that are freeway close, since the students may come from as far as Los Alamitos to the south end of Orange County in San Clemente. They also need to have restrooms and be appropriate for a range of ages.
Here are my 10 picks starting from South County (click on the links for details):
- Sunset Park in Dana Point: Right off the Beach Cities exit near Dana Point (I-5).
- Creekside Park in Dana Point: Off the Stonehill/Camino Capistrano exit (I-5).
- Knotty Pine Park in Laguna Hills: Off La Paz Road. NO restrooms here, but very close to retail and restaurants (I-5).
- Valley Oak Park in Irvine: Off Sand Canyon Avenue and Barranca in Irvine (I-405).
- Tewinkle Park in Costa Mesa: Off the 55 Freeway at the Fair Drive exit. Just make sure NOT to go when the Orange County Fair.
- Off 405 in Fountain Valley, Westminster, and Huntington Beach: I never receive recommendations from moms in this area, but there are lots of parks close to the freeway looking on the playground map.
- Rush Park in Los Alamitos: At the north end of Orange County on the 405. Exit at Seal Beach Boulevard (I-405).
- Woodbury Community Park in Irvine: Off the Jeffrey Road exit on the I-5.
- Pearson Park in Anaheim: Take the Lincoln Avenue exit to Harbor Blvd (I-5).
- Ralph B. Clark Regional Park in Buena Park: Easy to get to off I-5 by taking the Beach Blvd exit to Rosecrans. Pay to park.
Enjoy your time exploring these new places for homeschool outdoors and playing with friends!