I might have mentioned this before (because I pretty much like to brag about it to everyone): I hate to shop, therefore I have no clothes. My entire wardrobe probably measures 1 foot wide in my closet and takes up one drawer in a dresser. I get one swimsuit before the start of every summer and wear it the whole season. If you’ve ever met me in person, I was probably wearing green Dockers shorts from Kohl’s that are one size too big and a black shirt. I do not wear the same clothes every day; it’s just that I have 3 pairs of green Dockers shorts and probably 5 or 6 different black t-shirts. Otherwise, I have one pair of khaki capri pants and one pair of denim capri pants. Shoes? My Merrell hiking shoes or my Montrail flip-flops. The BEST flip-flops on the planet!
Guess how much I paid for said flip-flops? $55! You are probably thinking – “WTF! She could have bought 2 more pairs of shorts and 3 new t-shirts for that!” But I ask you – wouldn’t you spend more than that if you lived in California where you can wear flip-flops year round AND if they were the best flip-flops on the planet?
Now ask me how long they last? Really! Ask me!
“Why, Michele, how long do they last?”
I’m glad you asked. “FOUR years!” Or more! I’ve had my Montrail Women’s Molokini flip-flops for 4 years! They still look the same as the day I bought them. I know because I actually took a photo of them the day I bought them – and that was way before iPhones – because I couldn’t believe I spent so much on a flippin’ pair of flip-flops. I took the top photo this morning – after 4 years of wear. The other 2 photos are from 2 separate beach trips.
So now you’re probably asking what makes these shoes so amazing? Right?
They are thermo-moldable, meaning when you first buy them you: PUT THEM IN THE OVEN. Yes! You put them in oven to warm them up and then you shape them to fit your feet by standing very still, feeling ridiculous, in your kitchen with warm flip-flops trying to let all your weight sag into your feet. It’s like having orthotics for your sandals.
I got my dad a pair at the same time because we both have the same feet problems, but refuse to go without flip-flops. For the first time in my life, he actually made a specific request for a Father’s Day present this year. Can you guess what it was? He wanted a new pair of these shoes.
So that’s what prompted this post! No PR person contacted me. Montrail didn’t contact me. MY DAD contacted me and we went on and on about how great these shoes are for us. So, of course, when I have something great to share then I want to share it with you! So I ordered my dad his new shoes and wrote to the great folks at Montrail about our experience.
My Wishes for Summer 2011:
- That more people would subscribe to my weekly Play Trips newsletter (see Week #1 sample) because I’m having lots of fun creating it and think it’s providing a fun resource, in addition to the blog. If I’m going to spend time creating it, I want more people reading it and even contributing ideas!
- If you’re ALREADY on Facebook, I wish you’d Like our page and comment from time to time on the wall. It’s not really a reason to join Facebook, but I’m surprised at how much info is being shared on our page between the readers and how it helps me better serve your needs.
- I also wish that, if you’re finding value in this resource, you’d encourage your friends to subscribe to the newsletter and Like our page on Facebook.
SUMMER 2011 GIVEAWAY (Giveaway Period Expired on June 30th, 2011)
What: I’m giving away ONE Gift Certificate to “Redeem for one free pair of Montrail Sandals” which “must be redeemed by 12/31/11.” [The sandal I talk about above is the Women’s Molokini. The men’s version is called Molokai.]
When: Giveaway entry period runs from June 22nd – to 11:59pm on June 30th.
How to Enter:
- Subscribe to our newsletter. (That’s it.)
- If you are already a subscriber, let your friends know they can possibly win THE best flip-flops on the planet by subscribing. (You’re already entered! Thanks for signing up early. No need to subscribe again. You can always leave a comment and tell everyone how awesome Week #1 and Week #2 were.)
- One entry per subscriber.
- I selected the winner on Random.org from the total number of newsletter subscribers at 11:59pm on Thursday, June 30th.
Thanks for playing – and thanks for reading!
Disclosure: I did NOT receive any compensation for this post and am not affiliated in any way with Montrail.