Sycamore Canyon Park in Diamond Bar is about 10 miles up the 57 freeway from north Orange County.
A sprawling accessible play structure takes you down into the gorgeous canyon from the upper parking lot where you can stay and play a while or continue along the path towards a trail that rewards your uphill and upstairs trek with spectacular views.
Directions to Sycamore Canyon Park: Sycamore Canyon Park in Diamond Bar is located at 22930 E. Golden Springs Drive. From the 57 freeway, exit at Grand Avenue and make a right turn, then make a left onto Golden Springs Drive. Turn right onto Sycamore Park just after the baseball field. MAP TO SYCAMORE CANYON PARK
- Beautiful, natural canyon setting complete with a creek and an overlook with a small waterfall not too far up the trail from the play structure area.
- Huge, active and accessible play structure that really gets kids moving.
- One structure near the upper parking lot for smaller kids.
- Large, accessible structure for the bigger kids.
- The smaller play structure is so far removed from the larger structure that there isn’t as much worry about bigger kids bowling over the little ones.
- Great place to pack a picnic lunch or bring food to grill and spend a big chunk of the day playing and exploring.
- Diamond Bar is the next city on the 57 past Brea in LA County.
- A steep slope that ends in a creek is near the edge of the larger play area. There is a short fence at the top of the slope but I would watch smaller kids very carefully.
- The trail area is a rattlesnake habitat.
- The trail gets downright steep past the waterfall overlook area. The beautiful sweeping views of Diamond Bar and the surrounding area are best seen from an overlook that is up a LOT of stairs. Both of my kids managed the stairs alright, but a good stopping point with smaller kids would be the waterfall overlook area.
- No swings
- Spacious restrooms located near the upper parking lot
- Drinking fountain attached to the restrooms
- Dedicated parking in the upper and lower parking lots
- Baseball field
- Picnic benches and grills throughout – very close to the playground
- Picnic shelter available for reservation through the City of Diamond Bar
- Diamond Bar trail information with handy downloadable maps
- Official City of Diamond Bar Website
- Nearest Public Library: Diamond Bar Library
Photo credit: Lisa Lasater
Originally published in January 2014.