My college roommate used to play basketball at 38th Street Park in Newport Beach.
Little did I know (way back then before kids) there was a pretty nice playground here. Thanks to Kelly for the recommendation.
Directions to 38th Street Park in Newport Beach
The park is between 37th and 38th Street of W. Balboa Blvd. on the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach.
If you’re coming from the 55 Freeway/Newport Blvd., you’ll have to double-back to Balboa Blvd (or cut over on 32nd Street). [Address: 3700 West Balboa Blvd, Newport Beach] MAP to 38th Street Park on Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach
Recommended by: Kelly
- Beautiful location only blocks from the beach
- Completely fenced in and gated – wonderful for runaway toddlers and playgroups
- Lots of shade
- 2 baby swings and hygenic grassy area (dogs not allowed)
- Parking is an issue on weekends
- Wood chips – kids love to play with them, but younger ones may eat them
- 2 steps down to the ship-shaped play equipment
- No dogs
- VERY limited street parking, since spots are at a premium on the peninsula
- If you can find a space, parking is free around the park
- Bark play surface
- Nice restroom facility
- Shady with nice ocean breezes
- Benches for viewing kids
- Picnic tables outside fenced play area
- Full and half court basketball, although often busy (daylight hours only)
- Official City of Newport Beach website
- Nearest public library branch: Balboa Branch or Mariner’s Branch of the Newport Beach Public Library system
Originally posted in November 2008.
Friday 7th of May 2010
Loved this park! The Ocean breeze was very nice in the hot sun & it's so close to the beach! My son & I met up with some other mommies & kiddos for a play date & almost walked across the street to check out the ocean. The park is small, but plenty to do for babies (my son is 6 months old) & big kids, too. The baby swings were great & at a higher level so it's easy for moms (or dads) to push without having to bend over.
Be Aware: people don't mind walking next to the park smoking & with the basketball court next to it, you can sometimes hear some foul language.