I discovered Verde Park in San Clemente from a map search when we were in the area. I had no idea what to expect on our visit. Turns out that this is the perfect park for very young kiddos. It’s also good for frisbee and tennis for older kids.
Location: Right behind San Clemente High School off Avenida Pico. Exit Interstate 5 at Avenida Pico and turn inland. Take the first right onto Avenida Presidio (which is Calle Frontera on your left). Wind past the school and retail shops and into the neighborhood. Turn right onto Calle Escuela and drive slowly through the neighborhood until you see the Verde Park sign on your right. It looks like you should park on the street, but there’s actually a small parking lot up the narrow driveway. (Address: 301 Calle Estrella) MAP TO VERDE PARK IN SAN CLEMENTE
- I felt very peaceful upon entering this park. A couple was arriving to picnic at a table under the trees. Two guys were about to play tennis. A mom was placating her baby while her toddler played in the sand.
- There’s not much to the playground at all. It’s a very small structure which is more appropriate for younger kids. This one falls into the 2-5 year old age rating, but it’s really better for 2 year olds.
- It’s got a beautiful grassy area and doesn’t seem crowded. You’d have to be a local to know about it.
- 2 baby swings beyond the tennis court.
- It’s near the high school, so I don’t know if that affects traffic or visitors to the park.
- No bench swings.
- Older kids will be bored here, unless you are coming for a nice picnic.
- NO restrooms
- Parking in dedicated lot (although you can’t see it from the street)
- Play surface: sand and recycled rubber
- Drinking fountain
- NO restrooms
- Tennis court
- Official City of San Clemente website
- Nearest public library branch: San Clemente Public Library (events)
*Added to KaBOOM.org as part of their 2011 Park-A-Day Challenge