Grant Howald Park in Newport Beach is tucked away in a Corona del Mar neighborhood off Pacific Coast Highway near MacArthur Blvd. A reader recommended that I add it to my Sand Free Parks list.
Directions to Grant Howald Park: From Pacific Coast Highway in Newport Beach, take either Goldenrod, Heliotrope, or Iris to the park and its parking areas. (Address: 3000 Fifth Avenue, Newport Beach) MAP TO GRANT HOWALD PARK IN NEWPORT BEACH
- Right next to a community center and along a bike trail
- Perfect park for walking because of all the trails and even sidewalks down the street for window shopping in Corona del Mar
- Newport Beach has walking trail maps if you want to see the area on foot
- The upper playground is all recycled rubber play surface with big kid swings and a “spiderweb” climber (big kid swings up here)
- The lower playground is for smaller kids with a sandy play surface and baby swings
- There’s a grill and picnic tables near the little kid playground
- Even though the equipment may not intrigue your child, the surrounding nature park is engaging for little explorers. We liked tromping all over the place just to see what we could see. Plus it’s fun because it’s nice and hilly.
- Sandy playground is hidden from view of the big kid playground You can’t see your older kid if your younger one is on the other side of the hedge (and vice versa)
- The equipment is somewhat limited. Big kids who like monkey bars and climbing will like it, but there’s not much to either play set.
- There are steep drops on the taller equipment not suitable for younger kids.
- It’s adjacent to a community center which makes it nice because of the facilities, but could make it busy and affect parking at times
- Dedicated parking lots
- Play surface: Recycled rubber on upper playground and sand on lower playground
- Restrooms at community center are only open during the center hours. Otherwise, there is a sign directing to use the restrooms by the tennis courts.
- Basketball court, tennis courts, soccer field and baseball diamonds
- 5th Avenue bike trail runs along the park here.
- Drinking fountain
- Grill and picnic tables
- Official City of Newport Beach website
- Nearest public library branch: Newport Beach Public Library