How well do you know the OC Zoo in Irvine Regional Park?
I thought I knew it pretty well. I’m a wildlife enthusiast and collect zoos like others collect rare coins or stamps. I visit the zoo often. At a blogger event last week, I learned all sorts of interesting facts from Donald the Zoo Manager:
and Marcy the Education Coordinator.
Kevin brought animals up-close for the kids to acquainted with a rosy boa, screech owl, and opossum.
There were many other helpful zookeepers who introduced us to all the zoo’s residents. A special thanks to Ranger John and Marisa from OC Parks who gave us some history of the park and guided us through the nature center near the zoo. Make sure you check OCParks.com for tons of information on the OC Zoo and your local regional parks.
OC Zoo Mini-Quiz
Most of the zoo animals have been rehabilitated from an injury or are no longer able to live in the wild. I wrote up my own quiz to test your knowledge.
1. Yo-Yo (female) and Nacho (male) are black bears, but they are actually brown in color. What other colors can black bears be?
- Navy blue
- All of the above
2. Yo-Yo and Nacho actually have different flavor preferences. Yo-Yo doesn’t like bananas, but Nacho eats them up. What favorite fruit does Yo-Yo love to eat, but Nacho spits out?
3. The ocelot is one of 2 endangered species at the zoo. There are only 80+ ocelots still living in the wild in the U.S. What state do they live in?
4. Bobcats get their name from ____________.
5. Are peccaries and javelinas considered pigs?
6. A chicken with no neck feathers is:
- An actual species
7. The life expectancy of a mountain lion is around 20 years old. How old is the female at the zoo?
8. What are the 2 special events at the zoo involving the animals?
9. Coati’s are not in the anteater family. What’s their closest relative at the zoo?
10. Question #3 alluded to endangered species at the zoo. Ocelots are one. What is the other?
- Bald eagle
- Island fox
- Golden eagle
*We received a free product, service, or admission while researching this post. Link here to full disclosure policy.