I wish stores were closed on Sundays and no one could bring their computers or e-mails home. That’s how it was when I was a kid. Parents did chores around the house, and included the kids. We played in the driveway and ate dinner outside. That’s the kind of downtime I’m trying to recreate this old-fashioned play weekend. If you need some inspiration, here are some links to play ideas I may not have mentioned before:
- Childhood 101 has a mind-boggling array of play ideas in their Playopedia. You have to check it out!
- Do you want to learn about play? Carol Torgan, Ph.D. keeps track of 200+ play resources.
- Nature Rocks is releasing their summer activity guide very soon. It’s free to download and use all summer.
- July is Inside the Outdoors Month for Orange County and they have lots of camps and day-long offerings.
- Allison Huke is Real Green Mom from OCFamily.com and she has a great list of “Green Activities for OC Kids this summer“
KaBOOM is a national non-profit issued their Park-A-Day Challenge for the summer. Wanna join me? I will be writing about it at KaBOOM.org. Anyone can do a Park-A-Day Challenge! You can use KaBOOM’s Map of Play or my blog to find places to play. We’ll log our findings on their map and can all join together in this community service. Over the years I’ve already added most of the parks on this site to KaBOOM’s map so they can find places that need playgrounds. There are plenty more to add. Help me!! These are the benefits of this summer activity for you and your family according to KaBOOM:
- ”Doesn’t cost much money
- Keeps you and your kids active
- Presents learning opportunities
- Takes you to new places
- Contributes to a good cause
- Is lots of FUN”
I’m definitely using it as a lesson in community service — but there are so many benefits that it doesn’t feel like work!
National Wildlife Federation
- June was “National Outdoors Month” and the Natural Wildlife Federation has “Get Outside This Summer!” activity sheets to share.
- Make a field guide to your yard.
- Check their websites for more from NWF, Be Out There and Green Hour.
Does anybody have other insider info to share? What are you going to be doing this summer?
The best thing about good old-fashioned play is that it isn’t expensive! Get out there and have some fun!