Lantern Bay Park, located on a bluff overlooking Doheny State Beach (pictured), Dana Point Harbor and the coast, is a favorite for its sea breezes and proximity to the beach. Perfect for family barbecues and larger gatherings, too. It’s located across from the Laguna Cliffs Marriott with its distinctive red roof. There’s a long staircase leading from the harbor up to the park which is popular for running stairs.
Location: Located off Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) near Dana Point Harbor. Del Obispo turns into Dana Point Harbor Drive when it crosses PCH. Turn right onto Park Lantern Road and follow it up the hill until it dead ends near the Laguna Cliffs Marriott. Parking on the street if you can find it or a lot halfway down the hill. (Address: 25111 Park Lantern Road, Dana Point). MAP to Lantern Bay Park in Dana Point
Recommended by: Robin (comments in italics)
- Very cool even on the hottest days with a nice ocean breeze
- Cheerful yellow structure perfect for all ages
- Fun ride-on sea lion, tic-tac-toe, and kid-sized clock
- Basketball court halfway down the hill (and across the street)
- A sunken amphitheater surrounded by rose bushes – where our kids like to race or perform pretend shows
- Doheny State Beach and Dana Point Harbor nearby
- My family uses this park as a place for breakfast and lunch picnics or dinner barbecues
- Sunset views are incredible from here!
- Maybe an uphill walk depending on where you park
- On top of a bluff – so keep track of tiny wanderers – don’t want them getting too close to the edge
- There’s a donation-based “yoga in the park” class every day at 10am which might compete for parking
- Parking on a hill or a dedicated lot is down the hill – so there can be a walk uphill to reach this park
- Recycled rubber play surface
- Typical beach restrooms and drinking fountains
- Plenty of shade surrounding the park, but not much over the structure
- Benches and lawn area nearby to sit while supervising the kids
- MANY picnic tables and grills around, but not necessarily next to the play area
- Official City of Dana Point website
Originally posted in August 2010.