You know I don’t often recommend screen time on this blog, but a friend asked me for suggestions on the best family movies to watch together with the kids. My kids don’t watch any TV during the week — no time with school and play! So our occasional “Family Movie Night” has turned into a really special occasion for us.
First of all, I highly recommend tidepooling on rainy weekends! These movies are for after the light has faded from the day and you’re all snuggled up warm at home.
Also, I really want you to preview these titles for age-appropriateness and to see if they are suited to your family and children. I’ve included links to imdb.com so you can go over there and get the exact info and click on “Watch Trailers” to see a sample. Some of these movies have been made into more modern-day versions, so make sure you check exactly which version I’m talking about.
Classic TV Series on DVD
Old Movies from My Childhood
- Apple Dumpling Gang (1975)
- Parent Trap (1961)
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
- Mary Poppins (1964)
- Robin Hood (1973)
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
- Princess Bride (1987) – we usually only watch just until she finds Wesley before the ROUSs
- The Moon Spinners (1964) – for a little bit older ages
Even Older Movies
Nature & Place
- Fly Away Home (1996) – skip the opening credits with kids
- Incredible Journey (1963)
- Iron Will (1994)
- The Jungle Book (1967)
- White Fang (1991)
- North America TV series – keep your finger on the fast-forward button and definitely preview, it’s real nature!
- Ella Enchanted (2004)
- Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
- A Little Princess (1995)
- Enchanted (2007)
- Tangled (2010)
More Modern Favorites
So how many of these have you seen? Do you have suggestions of movies to add?