Every time I visit Oak Creek Park in Irvine, the playground is bustling with one mom’s group or another. I had to hit it early in the morning to grab photos without kids, but the South Irvine Stroller Strides was gearing up for their morning workout. It’s about a block away from Valley Oak Park (across Barranca). I thought it was only a soccer field, but there’s a playground!
Directions to Oak Creek Park in Irvine: Easy to find from Interstate 405 and 5. From 405, exit Sand Canyon and go inland. Turn left on Barranca and take an immediate right on Valley Oak Drive. Turn right into the parking lot. If you are coming from the 5, head toward the 405 and turn right on Barranca. Then take the right onto Valley Oak Drive. It’s basically at the corner of Barranca and Sand Canyon. (Address: 15616 Valley Oak, Irvine) MAP TO OAK CREEK COMMUNITY PARK IN IRVINE
- There’s lots of space to RUN and get the wiggles out
- There are usually other moms and kids playing here – so it’s great for socializing
- I love the rolling grassy hills for playing under the sycamore trees
- Some shade on the playground
- Big kid and little kid equipment is close to each other
- The restroom and parking is close to the playground
- Bring a ball to kick around on the field or a frisbee
- 2 bench swings, 2 baby swings
- I’m always a little uneasy about the people who sit parked in their cars away from the playground. I think it’s just a central and scenic spot in Irvine where people take lunch breaks or meet up with one other — just keep your eyes open and be aware.
- Could be busy on weekends during soccer season.
- The parking lot is nearby, but the kids don’t seem to wander there too much.
- Parking in dedicated lot
- Play surface: Recycled rubber and sand under swings
- Restrooms near the playground
- Nice, covered picnic area
- Benches at the park
- Baseball/softball diamond
- Soccer fields
- Official City of Irvine website
- Nearest library branch: Irvine Heritage Park or Irvine University Park
- Valley Oak Park
- Quail Hill Loop Trail (hike/nature walk)
- Heritage Park in Irvine
- Orchard Park in Irvine